The key point in achieving the previous main goals are the methodology we are going to use for the activities reflected in the guide. We propose two methodologies:
- Cooperative learning in a context of open space technology (OST).
The gamification we propose is a structure gamification because it implies using videogame elements but activities are not game-based. Gamification was included in Gartner hype cycle about Emerging Technologies 2011. In 2012, it was included in the peak of inflated expectations, expecting to get the highest productivity in a period between five and ten years. The correct application of the videogames principles can have a strong impact, becoming a transforming force together with other learning methodologies. This gamification process will be followed both internally for selecting the members taking part in the exchange and in workshops. The elements we are going to use:
- Rewards: Bonus, power-ups
- Achievement: Points, badges, leaderboards, progression bars, certificates
- Time: countdown
- Personalization: avatars
Our aim is to show that in small groups students can learn and cooperate regardless of the linguistic and cultural differences or obstacles. they will be pushed to progressively dismiss their individualistic behaviour and enjoy the process of investigating, discovering, elaborating and creating together with their own school mates and international peers.
We believe that being able to positively work and interact in an international setting will be this generation’s extra added value especially in the vision of a tighter European citizenship awareness and sense of belonging. Cooperative Learning is a learning methodology specifically designed to work in small groups in order to support each other , and by helping they feel jointly responsible of their mutual learning.
Besides, OST is a participated methodology which allows participants to make more exciting and creative meetings. It is a system which let the participants of a group experience self-management where leadership is constantly shared and diversity becomes a re source more than a problem to face or to overtake. It works on the collective intelligence and on people’s ability to self-organize and their self-determination. The four pillars supporting OST are:
- People who get into the group are the right ones . It doesn’t matter who or how many
- What happens is the only thing that can happen
- When it begins, it begins
- When it finishes, it finishes
Therefore, activities proposed will be:
- Challenging and funny and interconnected
- Suitable to work in teams and using ICTs
- Following the official curricula and affordable to everyone
- English as the main language but respecting minority languages as Valencian, Italian, Greek, Polish or Latvian. Students will create and update along the project their Europass.
- Showing the culture and heritage connected to each area.